PLOS Currents: Muscular Dystrophy is an Open Access publication channel for the rapid communication of new research results and operational analyses. PLOS Currents: Muscular Dystrophy is a way to share peer-reviewed results and ideas immediately while ensuring that they will be permanently archived and citable.
PLOS Currents: Muscular Dystrophy will consider submissions relevant specifically to Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy and other muscular dystrophies. Topics will include molecular and cell biology; genetics and genomics; animal models; behavioural, translational and clinical research; pathogenetic mechanisms; and experimental therapeutics.
The submissions do not have to be full-length articles and will not be judged on the basis of the likely significance of the work. Emphasis should be placed on the results and data, rather than on the potential impacts.
Share ongoing research:
- To facilitate prompt review and publication of research findings by encouraging short-form articles of research in progress including single findings, negative results, replications and methods and protocols.
Minimize the delay between the generation and publication of research:
- To deploy a streamlined peer-review process that decreases the time from submission to acceptance.
- To publish articles immediately upon acceptance.
- To provide rapid feedback and immediate credit for work completed.
Publish ALL experimental results:
- To provide a forum where results will not be judged on the basis of research significance.
- To emphasize results and data, rather than on the potential impacts.
- To publish scientifically sound research which may otherwise go unpublished.
The submissions are reviewed by a group of leading researchers in the field – the Board of Reviewers. The reviewers make a rapid determination as to whether a contribution is intelligible, relevant, ethical and scientifically credible, but will otherwise not impose restrictions on the nature, format or content of the contributions. Those submissions deemed appropriate are posted immediately at PLOS Currents: Muscular Dystrophy and publicly archived at PubMed Central.
It is assumed that submissions will often report preliminary data and analyses, and it will be possible to revise contributions, for example in light of new data. Such revisions will also be subject to approval by Reviewer Board, and different versions of the same article will be identifiable and all versions will be archived and separately citable.
The content is published under a Creative Commons Attribution License, enabling unrestricted distribution and use of the published materials, provided that its authors are properly credited. Every accepted submission will receive a permanent identifier that can be linked to and cited in other publications.